Motivation Monday - Yousuf Karsh

>> Monday, September 7, 2009

I know I have mentioned it before on my daily blog, and here as well, but I am again going to post about Yousuf Karsh (1908-2002). In my mind and those of many other fans, he was an absolute genius. He was able to capture the true personality of each of his subjects so effortlessly (or at least it seems that way). Karsh himself said, "within every man and woman a secret is hidden, and as a photographer it is my task to reveal it if I can. The revelation, if it comes at all, will come in a small fraction of a second with an unconscious gesture, a gleam of the eye, a brief lifting of the mask that all humans wear to conceal their innermost selves from the world. In that fleeting interval of opportunity the photographer must act or lose his prize". I believe he was able to become such a great photographer not only because he was truly talented, but because he loved what he did. "My chief joy is to photograph the great in heart, in mind, and in spirit, whether they be famous or humble." His portraits are truly inspirational to me as it is the main field I lack true skill in.He was a master of lighting, another area of photography of which I know little. He was able to get the lighting to match the personality of his subject. In the above photo of Grace Kelly, the lighting is soft and graceful (pun unintentional). It matches her skin, Hollywood starlet stature and, supposedly, her personality as well.Dave and I went to the Karsh exhibit at the Science and Tech museum here in Ottawa and were able to take a few Karsh-like photos which was fun. But what was even better, for me at least, was seeing his equipment and reading his own words about his works. Karsh published 15 books during his lifetime about his works and the sessions in which they were taken. I plan on trying to get my hands on as many of them as possible in an attempt to learn from someone I consider to be a true Photography Master.

0 comments:

Copyright

The work contained in my online galleries and published on my blogs is Copyright Stephanie Beach 1998-2011 (unless otherwise stipulated). All rights reserved. My work may not be reproduced, copied, edited, published, transmitted or uploaded in any way without my written permission. My work does not belong to the public domain.


  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP