SB 600 Speedlight

>> Sunday, September 6, 2009

I bought my first removable flash yesterday. I got the SB-600 Speedlight from Nikon. I was initially waiting to buy a flash like this one as I don't really know much about flashes, or lighting in general (other than ambient lighting). I wasn't going to buy anything until I had started the lighting course at Algonquin, but as my current instructor also happens to be the instructor for that course, I decided to stay after class on Monday and talk to him about my options. He mentioned the SB-400 but said that if I intend to go anywhere with my photography, the SB-600 would be of more use to me. It has many more options than the 400 but also happens to be a touch more expensive, but still not too pricey. I initially tried to get one from Henry's here in Ottawa, but as they had a giant flash sale a few weeks ago, they are still sold out. I placed an order for one but still went looking elsewhere. Dave and I ended up at Future Shop and I picked up an open box one for nearly $30 less than the Henry's price of $280, so I am pretty pleased with that. Another student in the composition course told me that he had not only the same flash unit, but also the same camera as me and he absolutely loves this flash and uses it all the time. I of course did some research of my own prior to my purchase and have learned that most people really like this unit. It is rather simple to use (as far as flash units go) and can do some pretty creative things. You can use it both on and off camera (in wireless mode) which enables you to really get creative with your lighting. It seems as if it is pretty tough as most people have dropped it at least once and say that even if a plastic bit falls off, it simply clicks back into place and the unit is as good as new. Now comes the task of learning how to use this new piece of equipment.

0 comments:

Copyright

The work contained in my online galleries and published on my blogs is Copyright Stephanie Beach 1998-2011 (unless otherwise stipulated). All rights reserved. My work may not be reproduced, copied, edited, published, transmitted or uploaded in any way without my written permission. My work does not belong to the public domain.


  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP